Bilingual students and workers have eventually more power than people who speak one language. Multilingual personalities can achieve better career results and be more communicative. For this reason, it is important to know the benefits of learning a second language.
Today the need to have a good command of foreign languages is obvious since the demand for multi-language experts has risen. Nonetheless, it is difficult to come back to dusty dictionaries and burn the midnight oil without a clear and definite purpose to study.
Things get even worse when there is a need to write an essay in a foreign language. In such cases, even additional materials or essay examples may not really help if the level of the target language is not enough.
Thus, having a good command of a foreign language is important, and it has a lot of benefits for the learners. You cannot restrict the value of knowing various languages to basic promotion advantages in the company. Such knowledge cannot also be used merely during traveling around the world to feel no embarrassment when communicating with native speakers.
Read on to know what are 34 inspiring reasons to learn another language to make your body and brain work better.
1. Being bilingual can help you get better in math
- It may sound quite strange, but there are a lot of researches that prove this fact. The case is that if you try hard to learn at least two languages, you start comprehending things and processes faster than a person who refuses studying languages. Therefore, on average, you will need less time to answer a simple equation if you are engaged in learning a second language. At the same time, if you do not study various languages, you will need more time and concentration.
- To get better results in math, you still need to develop your foreign language skills. In different researches, scientists have come to the decision that being bilingual helps children show better results during math classes. Such students outperform their peers if they train their language skills for at least two years or so. Therefore, if you have been studying languages for seven or more years, your math skills will be great.
- If you want to find out the exact time period needed to become better in math with the help of foreign language studying, we can tell you the information performed by the University of Michigan’s Language Learning Journal. It claims that only 1,5 hours per week is enough to master math and be good at it.
- People with well-developed language skills are better in analytics. There was an experiment carried out among a group of children where there were bilingual and monolingual kids. They were asked to choose the smallest object lying in front of them. The results showed that bilingual children were correct in 77%, while monolingual kids reached success in only 50%.
- A scientific journal performed the results of the research that considered analytical skills and logic in children. Among a hundred participants, there were 60 bilingual children who showed prominent results.
- It is known that bilingual students, on average, achieve higher points in tests on math than people who lack knowledge of the second foreign language.
- When you learn the languages, you become more concentrated and start paying attention to details. Your focus is, thus, better, and you can manage with more challenging and demanding tasks.
Therefore, we can conclude now that being bilingual not only helps to develop communicative skills but also helps to become a versatile learner and improve analytical and problem-solving mastery.
GET RID OF ACADEMIC PROBLEMS RIGHT NOWORDER NOW
2. Being bilingual prevents mental disorders
- When we get involved in studying foreign languages, we can forget depression and even postpone mental diseases. There was a special study that investigated the behavior of children and how knowledge of the second language can improve the way they behave. It is known that bilingual children are less aggressive. They feel less lonely and are not sad all the time since learning is a real distraction. Furthermore, mental disorders, such as anxiety and stress, occur less.
- Many studies show that the number of neural pathways tends to increase in size when a person studies foreign language. It helps to train memory since the information is processed with the help of a greater number of channels.
- In Washington, the scientists carried out a couple of researches that showed the tendency in terms of bilingual people in comparison with monolingual ones. Thus, they found out that people with great language expertise are more attentive, with greater memory and abstract skills.
- Moreover, such people can definitely delay the diseases which relate to aging. The research showed that the chances are high that bilingual people fend off the onset of various mental disorders for a few years. Bilinguals experience mental changes in the age of 78-80, while others start showing curious behavior a few years earlier on average.
You can probably hear that many psychologists advise their patients to concentrate more on language learning since it can help them fight the illness faster. There are a couple of reasons for such advice:
- When you learn a language, you make your brain work in a different vein. There are studies that prove that our brain will increase in size if we focus our efforts on learning languages on a daily basis. Learners start comprehending things faster, as the brain increases in size equally, and it helps better functioning. The efforts the polyglots apply daily are impressive, and they act like exercises for the brain. It trains the brain and helps resist mental diseases.
- With a new language, you open up this world differently. You are open to new ways of expressing your thoughts. You get to know new interesting methods to compose a sentence and perform it to other people. You also build new connections with versatile people and develop communication skills. This is good for your actual well-being.
- If you are a polyglot, you will more likely recover from the brain injury faster. Among people who survived from a stroke, bilinguals’ chances to recover faster were twice as high as for monolinguals.
- People who learn foreign languages have more grey matter that is found in parietal regions of the brain. These parietal regions contain sensory information and decide on the way we comprehend the world.
3. Build better relationships
- If you try to become better with the English language, there is good news for you: by 2020, in the world, there will be over 2 billion people who have a good command of the language. Therefore, you can be sure that wherever you go, you will find someone to have small talk or discuss different mundane things, for example. English is the most popular language worldwide if we compare it with any other language and its popularity among the population. We have listed a lot of reasons to start learning foreign languages, but are there any other benefits for the learners? The answer is YES.
- When we develop our language skills, we intentionally become more communicative and open-minded. Moreover, we stop feeling prejudice towards other people and do not feel humiliated anymore. There was research that showed how the knowledge of two or more languages could influence the way children comprehend this world. The professor decided to carry out an experiment and figure out how children would answer a simple question: “If you were born in an English-speaking family but adopted by Italians, which language would you speak?”. The findings really amazed the researcher. Bilingual children were sure that we could learn new things, while monolingual kids assured the professor that everything is inherited.
- When you improve your foreign language skills, you seem more attractive. This is the claim that a dating agency performed. Moreover, they added that being shy because of unnatural accent is unnecessary since your accent will only add some specialty to your speech.
4. Having learned a foreign language, you will master other languages faster
We already know that bilinguals have greater memory, and thus remembering new words and grammar rules is easier for them. Moreover, lots of languages have common rules, which makes it easier for polyglots to absorb the information faster.
- One of the popular scientific journals showed research on how studying Latin can influence children’s knowledge of English. Small kids had everyday 15-minutes classes of Latin program for a year. The findings showed that children with Latin classes in their schedule succeeded better in English tests than pupils who didn’t participate in Latin classes.
- If you want to be a productive learner, you would better learn two or more languages at a time. This is a more challenging approach, but it is not time-consuming. Thus, to become fluent in one language, you need 1,5 years if you learn it separately. On the contrary, if you study two foreign languages simultaneously, you will need no more than two years to master both.
- A great number of monolingual children distinguish words by the way they sound, whilst bilingual kids manage to do it by their meaning, which is impressive, indeed.
5. Learning a second language can enhance your promotion
- Curving a good career may be a real challenge in the modern world with so many obstacles around us, and especially in the workspace. However, with good knowledge of foreign languages, you can introduce a whole new world for yourself and become a new person. With good language skills, you can double your revenue or even land a better job position. You will definitely outperform other applicants regardless of the sphere you work. It can be journalism, marketing, IT, or even services industry. With a great command of foreign languages, you will eventually increase your income and find new opportunities. There are a lot of vacancies where knowledge of foreign languages is the first and substantial criterion.
- Recruitment agents agree with the fact that they prefer to give the position to multilingual candidates, rather than to those people who know one basic language. Bilinguals are supposed to be more valuable for the wellbeing of the companies, and this is why such people have the edge over others. You can participate in various international competitions or get involved in oversees activity.
- Your salary will obviously depend on your ability to communicate with international partners in foreign languages. It is estimated that bilingual workers get more revenue than their monolingual colleagues.
- On the market, there are so many companies that need to expand their facilities and build international connections, but they struggle to overcome the language barrier. Thus, if you know a foreign language, you can land a desired job really fast.
- In the USA, there are a lot of immigrants who speak two or more languages. They are known to earn 15% more than those foreigners who do not know English and speak only their native language. For instance, bilingual immigrants in Canada will get a 12% higher salary than people who do not speak an official language.
Even if you are not engaged in an international corporation, you will eventually benefit from being multilingual.
If you work in the services area, you will get more tips if you have a good command of the official language of this country, since customers and clients are more likely to be open to those workers who communicate with the help of the official language.
Mastering a foreign language, you can become a professional and begin translating, for example.
- It is thought that the market will increase the number of the position for interpreters and translators in the next couple of years.
- This profession is growing fast, and there should be competitive candidates to meet the demand.
- In the USA, bilingual workers get annual bonuses, while monolingual workers do not have such an advantage.
- You can move to another country and build a career if you know the language of this country and can fluently demonstrate your ideas.
6. You will travel easier
Communication is vital for business trips or vacations abroad since if you know the language and can speak with others; your journey will be successful. In some countries, people do not know English or simply refuse to speak this language, so it is better to know the official language of the country you are going to visit.
- When people start learning a foreign language, they are mostly inspired by traveling and the opportunities that a foreign language can give them while globe-trotting.
- If you are a fluent speaker of a country’s language, you will manage to participate in the life of this country. You will find a common language with natives and be able to ask for help if needed, for instance.
- If you are a bilingual student, you can take part in a study or study-work program and experience living abroad for some period of time. This is a great opportunity to see the world and make new friends.
If you only begin your language learning journey, you should definitely remember why you started. This is crucial to keep yourself motivated and dedicated to studying, and these 24 reasons can help you be inspired to continue. If you have already gained some proficiency in learning a language, this list of benefits will show you why you need to proceed with it. If you know another language, you can become a whole new person with a different and more interesting life. You can achieve new great goals and develop yourself in many other domains. You will also become better in communication and make new friends, build useful connections, and change your life for the better.
Actually, learning a foreign language is not easy at all, and you will have to overcome challenging situations and, in some cases, even make yourself learn the information. To keep positive mode and continue learning, you need some inspiration, and this list is your real motivation not to abandon the process. It is always harder to start all over again, so come back to this article when you lose motivation to become a happy and successful multilingual.