Preparing for a disaster in advance is an essential step in disaster management. To do this, you need to study what natural disasters are possible in your area. Often schools, colleges, universities provide students with their disaster management plans to teach them how to cope with disaster situations.
Let’s take a look at an example based on California State University, Northridge. The school’s teachers and principal provide students with detailed information on what should be in an emergency backpack, how to follow an emergency plan properly and how to seek help in case of a disaster, and keep abreast of events.
Such lessons are taught at the University of Montana. More recently, the chief executive officer has decided that students need to be prepared for natural disasters. On the campus, teams have been created that provide disaster relief, and teachers actively support students’ ventures.
The City University of New York has created a website where managers inform students about all city emergencies and beyond. Also, information about weather conditions is updated every day to prevent disasters while traveling. There is a section where information about the state of health during a natural disaster is indicated. In addition to all of the above, the site hosts useful smartphone applications, tablets that will come in handy during a disaster. Equally important is information about social networks that keep all people informed.
This is only a small list; on your educational institution’s website, there is also information about emergencies and how to behave. To do this, you need to go to the emergency management section.
What Precautions To Take After A Disaster
If you are caught in a natural disaster, you need to follow an action plan to keep the situation under control. Immediately after the disaster is over, it is essential to take seven actions:
- Examine your condition and the people around you carefully. If you find that you or a person nearby have scratches, cuts, and injuries, then rinse the wound with water and then apply plaster to avoid blood poisoning. Your next step is to call an ambulance. The nurse will indicate and give you instructions to complete before the doctors arrive.
- Inspect the area for any danger near you. The sources of harm vary. For example, broken glass in a room, an overturned can of chemicals, an open fire, torn wires that sparkle, and stones fragments. If it’s dark around you, use a flashlight. Get to a safe place if there is danger around you, or try to neutralize them.
- Use a radio or TV, with the help, you will learn about the country’s situation — the most reliable information from the media’s first lips. If you don’t know if you can go outside, they will advise you on the next steps.
- Stay in a safe place; when going out on the street, there is a possibility that you will get hurt. If you find yourself in a haven, stay there as long as possible, and wait for the rescuers’ arrival. When you see that it is impossible to enter the building from the outside and not get out of it from the outside, call an ambulance.
- Save money necessary for life; these are water, food, energy. For the danger to disappear, you need to save many supplies from holding out in the shelter for a long time.
- Your parents and acquaintances may worry about you, so let everyone know about your situation. Call your relatives and tell them that you need help; they will contribute to your salvation.
- If a natural disaster destroyed your home, try to get to the shelter to give you food, clothing, water, and other necessary things for free. If you cannot find close people, tell the tracing service their data, and start looking.
If you liked this article, then please subscribe to our Professional Essay Writers for Hire.
Problems Due To Natural Disaster During The Application Process
The application process is severely affected by a natural disaster. But don’t panic if you’re in trouble. All schools have created a project to help all students who skipped the application due to the disaster.
College, the university offers prospective students to extend the process if they do not have time to meet the deadline. You are required to make a call to the admissions office and report the situation. They will make an exception for you.
Also, if you have financial difficulties that hinder admission, educational institutions’ leadership will make sure that you extend your payment for your studies or provide financial assistance. For them, your emotional and physical health is more important than money. They are ready to meet you.
In a situation where testing has been postponed due to a disaster or your test scores have been delayed, you should do the same. Call the admissions office and let them know that you are solving this problem.
Due to the natural disaster, students could not successfully prepare for the exams, and their grades became lower, and should also inform the college management about this problem. Teachers from your school should confirm the information.
Suppose you need to provide a letter of recommendation or other necessary documents for the future educational institution. In that case, you need to warn that you cannot do this. Perhaps the employer or school management can report and ask for an extension.
Helping Students in Times of Trouble
During emergencies or natural disasters, most people lose or save their lives immediately after such an event. People count on the fast and effective response of the charitable foundation as the only hope and support.
There are four types of help:
- emotional help;
- physical help;
- financial help;
Emotional Help to Students
A natural disaster will become a terrible experience for people, cause emotional stress, and in some cases, lead to psychological distress. The emotional state is influenced by sudden reactions and complicated relationships with family. But this is an obvious situation, and there is a way out of it.
The American Psychological Association has created guidelines on coping with the emotional state after you are in trouble. Still, they warn that if you cannot cope with emotions yourself, it is better to turn to specialists. The Red Cross outlined what symptoms to expect during an emotional breakdown and how to deal with them.
Everyone needs emotional support, especially when the situation is extreme. In this case, you need to call the Mental Health America hotline and tell them that you feel bad.
If you liked this article, then please subscribe to our Essay Help
Physical Help to Students
When you are in trouble, you can get physical help; these include blood, food, and clothing. Many charitable organizations in the United States assist victims after a natural disaster.
All Hands Volunteers is a company that actively supports survivors from all over the world. Their services include the provision of jelly, food, medicines.
Catholic Charities USA is a large company with subsidiaries in many locations. In addition to the essentials, they offer financial assistance.
American Red Cross volunteers support people during a disaster. They will provide you with the necessary medical care from the best hospitals and doctors, food, clothing, and whatever the victim asks for. The organization employs people who train staff on how to provide first aid.
American Logistics Aid Network is humanitarian aid to victims. Specialists provide transport for the transportation of victims’ food.
Feeding America is a company that provides people with hygiene products. Their company is located in many countries, thus promptly delivering everything necessary to remote points.
Financial Help to Students
A natural disaster can damage your home or property. Students and their relatives can receive financial support from organizations:
- Hope Coalition America is an organization dedicated to providing financial assistance to both students and business owners;
- Federal Student Aid is a company that supports students during admission; they send letters to educational institutions stating that the student is in disaster and suggest ways to solve the problem;
- The Institute of International Education provides students with emergency grants so that a student can continue their studies if caught in a natural disaster.
Insurance for Students
After the natural disaster has subsided, you have the opportunity to contact the insurance service and find out what compensation they are willing to issue for home damage. As a result of a natural disaster, insurance covers the payment for home restoration or new items. The best insurance companies:
- Insurance Information Institute;
So, the main idea is to be ready for every situation. Always have a small backpack with the most needed things such as money, warm clothes. Follow the governmental instructions and help each other.
Want to get more? See essay writing service at our site.